ABOUT HERITAGE SOUTH
Meeting member needs for over 50 years.
For the first 49 years of its existence, Heritage South Community Credit Union operated as EPCO Credit Union. In 1957, Harold Hassenfeld, president of Empire Pencil Company, voiced his desire to have his employees form a savings and loan they could call their own. A handful of employees agreed and opened the credit union in February with 10-15 charter members and operations set up on the Empire premises.
The credit union's growth remained steady and Empire Pencil Company was its only member group for the next 35 years. In 1992, the decision was made to reach out to member groups outside the Empire family. The results were phenomenal as EPCO added over 200 member groups over the next 12 years. Mergers with the former Heil-Quaker credit union in 1994 and the credit union for Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation in 1997 also enhanced growth and provided EPCO a presence in both Lewisburg and Murfreesboro heading into the new millennium.
Winds of change began to blow again early in 2006 as EPCO was granted a community charter, opening the availability of membership to anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in Bedford, Marshall, or Rutherford counties. Credit union management and the board of directors also decided at that time to officially change the name to reflect the more diverse nature of our membership. On February 17, 2006, the credit union opened its doors for the first time as Heritage South Community Credit Union, vowing to continue the good old-fashioned southern service its members had come to expect the previous 49 years.